I never asked you to check my blog!

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Part 2: the story continues...

Not acceptable at all! Yes... I am good natured, nice to everyone, very forgiving, etc. But I do have a right to get frustrated at times. I mailed my project guide saying that what he had done was not acceptable and that we were irritated and angry. I also said that what he did was plain plagiarism and that in any other institute the person would have been asked to resign. I demanded and explanation from him for what he did and said that if the explanation was good enough then we will take back the request we sent to the conference authorities.

I got no reply from him. But got enough replies from close friends with whom I shared the mail. I am not someone who gets angry easily. But the way the prof operates has always been troubling to me and most of my batchmates. And I also have an issue with the quality of papers. In fact, my last paragraph in my mail to him appeciated him for generating interest in research in the department but also said that the way it was done was wrong. He cared nothing about the quality of "research"(if you can call it that) and bothered only about whether it got published somewhere - which is a shady way to operate. There are enough people in my batch who would agree that he adds no value to the papers and projects he guides (except for fancy names and adding his name to the paper or suggesting topics for some - ususally based on previous papers done by others with him). In fact, it was a concious decision by our group not to publish the work as a paper as we did not want him to get one more paper under his name without any contribution... and of course we weren't desperate for papers as some of our batchmates and juniors have turned out to be!(dont take it personally guys...its just my opinion)


I forwarded the mail to the HOD and Principal at college and CCed the prof again. This time I did get a reply. But from the HOD!
Content:
" I can very well say that the Supervisor who is guiding the project is the sole owner of the work. If you want you can very well enquire in your University and in IIT where you are studying."

Wonder which other college would encourage plagiarism by professors. It not as though he borrowed the idea and did some work on it. His only value add to my project had been converting the report into the "two-column" format!!!

Wait...there is more from the HOD:
He is supposedly disappointed that we guys are being hostile towards our college after leaving the institute(hostile?! we are pointing out that someone is unethical there and trying to correct the situation!). And adds that he will send a note to our institutes regarding this(saying that we reported plagiarism and hence we are wrong-doers?). Well...looked like an empty threat...so I didnt bother responding. Sudharsan did respond. He said that we expected support from college and since we did not get it, the conference authorities will take whatever action.

And today, I get to know (one of the juniors i mentioned before at least felt guilty of what he did and was apolegitic. he was also good enough to pass on this information to us) that the project guide told them that the HOD and Prinicpal plan to take "severe action" against us by writing to our institutes(where we currently study) that we had made fake recommendation letter when we applied for our PG. WOW! Look at the levels to which these guys can stoop down! Amazing. I of course have faith that IIMB is strongly against plagiarism and will not agree with any explanation given these people. But its a totally different angle that these guys are bringing in by saying that we made fake reco letters. Well... I haven't done that. So I'm not bothered. I did take a reco from my project guide... lets see what he mails IIMB!


Forgot to mention..just adding this bit now. I did keep one the profs I trust in SVCE in the loop when all this happened and he/she said he/she was aware of the "quality of research" that was going on under this guide and that he/she will talk to the HOD about this. But on seeing the response from the HOD, he/she decided against it. I dont blame him/her for that. No point arguing with people who have no clue on whats right and whats wrong!

15 Comments:

  • @Srikrishnan

    it always happens at times u know why ppl around us are so bad.
    we think they will apogise in the end they call shots

    World is like that Krishna
    we cant help it

    i could find out ur anger in ur words

    Vent it out krishna.
    you will feel a lot better

    let those wierd $%$#$#%@#%^&^#$^ junk ppl cant do anything to u nor to ranga.

    -Chimp

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM  

  • Welcome to the blogosphere!

    Its sad, this entire mess with the paper thingy. Shocking that the college si behaving like this without knowing the effect it can have on the future of the students who are studying now and will do in the future

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 AM  

  • OMG ....
    shame that we have to watch our backs from now on as far as completed project credits and rights are concerned

    Keep Clicking,
    Bhasker

    By Blogger Bosky, at 3:14 PM  

  • Good god...are you sure all this happened....if it indeed did...its rather shameful of our alma mater...

    By Blogger Jayesh S, at 8:41 AM  

  • duh.. ok..the title being "the story continues" doesnt mean its something i cooked up!! its real...all real..

    By Blogger Arjun, at 2:58 PM  

  • If u ask me the best way to get back at him and the college would be letting the world know his name i guess...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

  • If u ask me the best way to get back at him and the college would be letting the world know his name i guess...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • Out with the NAME!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 AM  

  • Hope you are feeling better about all this. Take care. The scars might run deep but they can be corrected.

    Patch up with the guide you talked about and correct it all.

    By Blogger Jayesh S, at 3:13 AM  

  • guide it seems!

    By Blogger Arjun, at 9:49 PM  

  • So did they (the college fellows) do anything eventually? What happened to your complaint to hte conference authorities? Are the juniors taking a stand against this in any way?

    Give us Part 3 of the story!

    By Blogger AC, at 6:51 PM  

  • I myself wrote several fake reco letters .. if fact the stupid hod gave me his seal to stamp it so i could stamp several empty letters LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 AM  

  • Absolutely disgusting.
    I say write to conference guys....and also the media. This sort of thing should be exposed!

    By Blogger Dugi, at 10:58 PM  

  • Dude,


    Man, if this had happened in the US, that prof wud have been f*cked royally for life...

    Oh yeah, SVCE and this kinda I'm-the-boss-you-better-lick-my-shoe crap have been inseperable. I did check out the Asst Prof whom u have mentioned.

    1. Lodge a complaint with cyber cell Police - their toll-free number is 18002096789. Tell them somebody faked your identity online and that should first take care of the liars' ass.

    2. Don't spare those guys-with-the-screwed-up-morals = juniors. They thought they could waltz their way into a decent US univ using somebody else's work? Sorry deal over. They ought to be in the same boat as that guy, TS.

    3. Go ahead and send an email to UGC, India - and tell them your story.

    4. Leak this to the Hindu and some other paper...


    LKS

    By Blogger Karthik Sriram, at 10:30 PM  

  • Dude write to CNN-IBN
    Tonight we will have FACE THE NATION with the host.
    This is the only way we can see you in TV ;).

    By Blogger Nimme, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home